It might happen that the taxpayer may forget to claim certain Incomes or Deductions in his Income-tax return. Sometimes the taxpayer may inadvertently claim certain Incomes or Deductions under a wrong head, such issues are referred to as mistakes apparent from record as per the Income Tax Act. Such mistakes could be rectified by way of online rectification application.
If the taxpayer has mentioned Wrong Assessment Year while paying Self Assessment tax, then the taxpayer will receive an intimation indicating the amount payable. In such case, after ensuring that tax records have been corrected in Form 26AS, the taxpayer is required to file online rectification application requesting for re-processing of his Income-tax return.
Below are the steps for Rectification of mistake in relation to Wrong Assessment Year in challan “
1. Ensure that Tax Records are corrected in Form 26AS as per application made to Assessing officer / Bank for correction of Assessment year in challan.
You may refer our article “What if I have selected wrong Assessment Year while paying tax?” for details about application for correction in challan.
2. Once records are corrected proceed to Log onto the Income-tax departments website. Click here to go to Login page.
3. Go to My Account. Then select the option Rectification request.
4. Enter your PAN, select Assessment Year and provide the Unique Communication Reference number mentioned in the intimation.
Once details are entered, click on Validate button to proceed.
5. Rectification Request type will be asked. You need to select it out of 3 options as provided in below screenshot.
6. As in the given case, Assessment Year in challan is already corrected and correctly shown in Form 26AS, you need to select No further Data Correction required. Reprocess the case and Click on submit button.
You will get a message on your screen that your rectification application has been submitted to the Income-tax department. It may take around 1 month to reprocess your Income-tax return.
Follow below mentioned steps to check the status of rectification :
1. Go to My Account Menu and select Rectification Status
2. Select the Assessment Year from Dropdown (As shown in screenshot)
3. Click on submit button to view the status.
The status will change as No demand, No refund; you can officially take a sigh of relief with respect to that assessment year.
In case you find any difficulty while filing online rectification application. You may reach us by way of opting for our premium Assisted Filing Service in which our tax experts will guide you rectifying the mistake in your Income-tax return during chat interaction. You may refer the following link –
If you wish you ask any tax related query, go to the home page https://myitreturn.com/ and click on support button. Our tax experts will assist you by providing solution to your query.